Some points on characteristics of primary memory are listed below. So let us know more about primary memory in a computer.
Some characteristics of primary memory of the computer are:
- Primary memory is usually expensive compared to secondary memory as it is available in a limited size.
- Primary memory in a computer is faster compared to secondary memories
- Primary memory is also known as main or internal memory in a computer.
- Primary memory is volatile memory.
- Data is lost in case power is turned off.
- A computer cannot run without the primary memory or main memory.
- Accessing data from primary memory is much quicker as it is an internal memory of a computer.
- Random Access memory or primary memory is more immediate because of the processor.
- Primary memory is available with the CPU of the computer.