Some of the key features of water transport are:
- Water transport runs on a natural track; hence, it does not require large amounts of capital for construction and maintenance, which makes water transport less expensive than other modes of transportation.
- Water transport is relatively cheap and does not require a lot of infrastructure.
- Water transport is a very efficient way to move large volumes of goods over long distances.
- Water transport is a very versatile form of transport, capable of carrying a wide variety of goods.
- Water transport is a very safe form of transport, with a low risk of accidents.
- Water transport is a very environmentally friendly form of transport, with minimal impact on the environment.